Saturday, January 5, 2013

Eww...

 
Where do I even begin with this? :O The title? Okay...

 
Girls for Breakfast. There. Happy New Year everyone! I'm late in that, but it took me a while to finish this book as it was gross. I mean, the whole thing wasn't gross, but like one of the reviewers said, you will never look at a boy the same way again. Yes, David Yoo is Paula Yoo's husband. But that's not why I read this book. I, like you, went like this when I read the title: :O. After reading it, this book made me think twice about race. It was like a slap in the face. Not literally, but almost. Nick Park is grody (is that the word? :P), but maybe he's just like any normal teenage guy. I will never know. I just wish I didn't find out some of the things revealed in this book about how a guy's mind works. I really wish.
 
The thing is, I'm not sure what the theme is. I mean there's a strong message about race for sure, but I feel like I'm missing the point of this book. Nick cared way too much about popularity I thought while reading it. He went to some serious extremes to be popular. One thing the book did do well was make me feel like as an Asian American, the joke's always on me. You never know if everyone's nice to you because they feel sorry for you or if they're nice to you because they genuinely want to be your friend. I didn't really struggle with this as a teenager because I had too much other stuff to think about at the time than to worry about what people really thought of me.
 
I'm also scared for Nick's future. He doesn't seem prepared at the end of the novel. Yoo ended it nicely, but I'm seriously concerned for what happens next. Somehow I don't think his fighting days are over. I don't know. Ladies, don't read this if you don't want to be grossed out. Unless you have brothers who already told you at least what half the book is about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment